Tuesday, March 3, 2009

TAKS Test

I HATE the taks test. I think it is the biggest disaster, and a disgrace to education. The amount of pressure put on the test, and my child is ridiculous. A teacher sure not be allowed to tell my child he needs to do well on the test, or she won't get a bonus. If she was truly doing her job, if said bonus was required, she should get it anyway. He should not be worrying about her getting it. Nor should the school year be spent teaching student y to catch up for the test while students a x are bored out of their minds because they already know the things being tested on. It just infuriates me.
So now, at 5:30, my son is finally home from taking the ridiculous test, and was at school from 7:45, until 5:25 p.m. Does that seem right? I don't think when i was a child i was allowed, or made to stay until dinnertime to finish a test. Do they really think that after 8 or 9 hours they are working at the best of their abilities? Or are they more likely so tired they are staring at the letters on the pages blurring together? Maybe chewing the erasers on their number 2 pencils which are required, and staring at the ceiling. I am sure however the pep rally given the day before made for an inspirational feeling towards the glorious taks test. I know a pep rally would have inspired me...

2 comments:

  1. It sounds similar to tests we have here, so much pressure which kids really don't need. I wish they would relook at how they do things

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, i agree. We had him in a private school, and the teachers got one days notice. They told the kids get a good nights sleep a good breakfast and that was it. They knew they were doing there job, and the kids knew the material. it was so nice. No 6 months of preparing for a 2 day test.

    ReplyDelete